Ways to Go Green in your community:
1. Save energy.
• Lower thermostats, install compact florescent or LED light bulbs, unplug appliances when not in use, wash clothes in cold water, and use a drying rack or clothesline.
2. Save water.
• Take shorter showers, install low flow shower heads, plant draught tolerant native plants, and turn off the water while brushing your teeth.
3. Less gas
• Walk, Bike, use public transportation, or carpool to work.
4. Eat smart.
• Cut down on your meat intake, buy local, humane and organic food.
5. Skip the bottled water.
• Use filtered water and a reusable stainless steel or glass water bottle. If you forgot your bottle then look for boxed water or glass bottles.
6. Think before you buy.
• Look for secondhand products on craigslist, freecycle, garage sales, thrift stores, flea markets and consignment shops.
7. Borrow instead of buying.
• Borrow books and movies from libraries.
• Share power tools and appliances with neighbors.
8. Buy smart.
• Buy in bulk.
• Wear clothes that don’t need dry cleaning.
• Buy high quality, long lasting products.
9. Keep electronics out of the trash.
• Keep your cell phones, computers, and other electronics as long as possible.
• Donate or recycle them responsibly.
• Recycle your cell phone.
10. Use Eco-friendly cleaners or make your own.
• The big secret: you can make very effective, non-toxic cleaning products whenever you need them. All you need are a few simple ingredients like baking soda, vinegar, lemon, and soap.
Photo of garden at Thomas Starr King Middle School in Los Angeles